Tough Realities

    For those who are a bit squeamish, it might be very difficult to look at this.  We prayed about whether to share this.  Thought about his own privacy and whether there would be a day he would be upset that we would reveal.  A friend helped to make this as tasteful as possible but the truth is - this is what Maxim is living with.  This is what all of the planning and preparing for we are doing right now. 
    This is why we are asking for help.  Not for anything more than mercy that Maxim will not live one day longer than he needs to like this.  It is grace that he has not become infected.  It is beyond comprehension of ours to even think on living one day of his life. 

    You can imagine the questions Randy and I are working through as you probably share many of the same.  This is why we really need a nurse to come with us and assist us coming home.  In the best of scenarios, traveling overseas has its challenges - but now imagine this. Creativity and out of the box thinking is required for certain.  Conversations with doctors turn into talks on saran wrap and building a custom foam seat with a hole. 

    And however awkward it might all be, it's not only debilitating but life threatening for Maxim to continue living like this without any medical intervention.  We thank God for preserving his life, but we are pressing in and asking (and I won't lie - crying) for a deep compassion to fall on those who hear his plight and to pray for him.  Truly pray for him.  It is all we are asking for tonight.

    Like your child was lost in the woods and you would scream for people to come help you find them- this is my heart cry right now.  It's why it's really hard to answer the question, how is he doing?  This is how he is doing.  And the fact that he can put a smile on his face does not make THIS any better.  Children who live in distress for long periods of time, may get used to living that way, but they DO NOT LIKE IT. 
    I found some appalling information about spina bifida and the history of how society has treated individuals born with this diagnosis.  This link is written by a grown man who is a survivor of having his spina bifida left untreated. http://www.notdeadyet.org/2011/11/hydrocephalus-spina-bifida-and-medical.html    He speaks of a global plague.  We know it is not just an attack on spina bifida but on all who are viewed as weaker and costly to human convenience and pleasure.

    In Armenia, at the baby house where we adopted Jubilee from, tiny precious babies with heads so large lay crying in pain.  The pressure of the fluid continues to build but no shunt means death.  I asked the sister why this was happening.  She said, not all of the children will receive surgery.  But she could not explain why some would and others wouldn't.  Jubilee was one of the very blessed ones.   We know it is an incredible gift from heaven that Maxim must have a mild case of hydrocephaly as it often accompanies spina bifida of his severe degree. 

    I love that he smiles and I love that he sees the world with hope. I love that he hasn't given up. That his spirits are high tells me someone is feeding his heart. Someone is speaking to him. Someone is praying.

    We are in our last week of fundraising and advocating through Ten for Orphans.  For the month of October they have been spreading the word and sharing about our Maxim and Lucia in Ukraine.  I am asking that if you are reading this, will you pray for Maxim and Lucia before you leave this screen?  Will you leave a comment and let me know?  Will you share this link with a friend or bible study group?  I am shameless to cry out on their behalf.  If after prayer you are led to sow into our adoption of Maxim and Lucia you can go to Ten For Orphans to give.  

I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist them. Job 29:12

Comments

sfrancis23 said…
We love you guys so much! Heavenly Father, please continue to sustain Maxim and Lucia as they wait and make their wait be short. Please continue to guide Tina and Randy as they prepare and plan for the kids medical needs, as well as providing for their adoption fund. Thank you so much for their heart for these precious children.
Christine said…
Thank you for sharing this reality. Praying for Maxim, Lucia and your whole family. May you feel loved and uplifted by the body of Christ.
Mike and Misty said…
We are praying here at the Risse house. Love you! Misty
Annie Martin said…
We have been praying, and continue to pray for your entire family.
Mathew said…
Maxim, Lucia, and the rest of your family will be in our prayers!! God is mighty!!
Milena said…
Praying right know! My faith may not always be very strong, but I hope that my heartfelt prayer may still count.

(Will you eventually share some brief information about Lucia too? Is she too where Maxim is?)
Shelly Roberts said…
Praying for your precious Maxim! Asking God to raise up people to respond to EVERY. SINGLE. NEED. Asking the Father to comfort your heart as you wait and at the same time persevere, advocate and labor to bring your child HOME. Sharing! Much love to you, sister!! <3
Tanya Fifer said…
Praying Tina! Praying and praying!
with Love said…
Tina we are praying for you and Randy and for Maxim and Lucia as well. God please rain down all provision in all forms that are needed for this precious family. Lord bless them abundantly for the work of their hands and Lord we thank you in Jesus name that you heal Maxim we know you are a living God and a loving God! Bless them Lord for their Love of the orphans in Jesus precious name Amen! much love and prayers to you all xoxoxo
ywilbur said…
Tina, I often feel like a RR voyeur. I only learned about RR after my child was adopted and home, when another parent mentioned seeing him on RR. Anyway, I was just curious as I don't know much about spina bifida and now picturing myself needing to bring Maxim home: Are they able to operate on the 'bump'? What is the red 'stuff'? Is Maxim able to sit? I'm wondering if there could be some medical transport or something to help get him home: like a special plane or something? My other thought was they have those fully reclining seats on some planes -- for crew resting but I wonder if that would be an option? Great idea about having a nurse come along--I'm just thinking there has got to be some sort of medical travel nurses or something? I'm so glad you are adopting Maxim -- I was one of those who thought he'd never find his home.
Michelle said…
Praying for your family. Your blog has provided needed encouragement. My husband and I are adopting a boy with mild CP and have already faced much criticism. I cant imagine what you have gone through!

www.bringrenarshome
Christy said…
Hi Tina!
I have been praying for and sponsoring Maxim for almost two years now. I will keep praying! I am beyond grateful that you are coming to get him and Lucia.
Kelly said…
Hi Tina... I sent you an email and was wondering if you got it? :)

Thanks
Unknown said…
Prayed!!!! I love your family. Thank you so much for sharing what you do with us. (((hugs)))
patty said…
Praying for all of you !

Patty
Anonymous said…
A prayer to the Blessed Mother that he knows and feels love of an earthly Mother is on the way.
Petticoat9 said…
Can you please contact me? I tried to donate but it doesn't show your name or your children's so I'm not sure how to know that it is going to the right account. You can email me for my phone number or facebook me for it with Sheila Strickland Wray. Jesus shines in the love your family lives!
Brenda White said…
Praying for precious Maxim and Lucia...I don't even know how I happened upon this blog tonight. IT is my first visit but I have already subscribed.:) can't wait to read more about your family and your wonderful hearts for adoption! God bless you and give you peace, grace, and strength!
Amy said…
Praying you can get Maxim home safely and also Lucia.
Holly said…
I just prayed for Maxim, Lucia and your whole family. I will continue to intercede on your behalf.
S said…
Tina,
Is there any way you could contact me? My husband and I are in the process of adopting a child whose medical condition is similar to Maxim's and I have question that I can't seem to find answers to. My blog is http://foxberryfarmalmanac.blogspot.com and my email address is in the sidebar.
In Him,
Sara
melissa said…
I found Maxim! I prayed so long and hard for him! I saw him move to my family found me page and than I lost him. I will be refocusing on praying for him again. Thank you so much for going to get precious Maxim!!!!! The blog the blessing of verity wrote about having a nurse accompany them when they adopted Katie. She might be a good person to contact about making traveling medical plans! I wish I was medical but I'll just be prayer warrior! God Bless and he seemed smiley in the old video. Melissa
Shan said…
Saying prayers and crying with you as you fight for these precious children. I love seeing the strength God gives you to do his work. It is just incredible. God please protect Maxim and help him endure this suffering.
Hi Tina,

As much as you do it for the least of these you do it unto me! Thank you is all that comes to mind right now. Thank you for being willing to love children suffering without help in another country...gold & silver I do not have but prayer I do and prayer moves mountains. Keep pressing into Jesus...He WILL make a way where there is no way!

A sister in Christ
delounge salon said…
Nice Post.Thanks for sharing wonderful information about different services of salon and also to know more about different services of beauty parlour visit
Hair Salon & Spa in Attapur Hyderabad
Unknown said…
Nice post
Thanks for sharing this helpful article ,.

Family Salons And Spas in Attapur,Hyderabad

Unknown said…
Nice post
Thanks for sharing this helpful article ,.

Family Salons And Spas in Attapur,Hyderabad

Popular Posts